Fátima, a World Center of Faith / Fátima, um Centro Mundial de Fé

A city is born from the Moors

The name of the city comes from the Arabic name Fatima (Fāţimah, Arabic: فاطمة), one of the daughters of the prophet Muhammad.

According to the legend, a Moorish princess named Fatima was captured by the Christian army during the Christian Reconquest. She was then given in marriage to the count of Ourém. Fatima converted to Christianism and was baptized as Oriana in 1158. In honour of his wife ancestors, the earl named the mountain region of his land as Fatima. He also named the country as Oriana, later renamed as Ourém.

The apparitions of Fatima

The history of the city of Fatima is, however, more closely associated with the phenomenon of the apparitions of the Virgin Mary.

By 1758, the Virgin would have appeared to a mute shepherdess and later, in the 20th century, to 3 other children while they were shepherding in Cova da Iria. The Chapel of the Apparitions is currently standing on the site of the latter.

The vision consisted of a beautiful lady in white, such a lady, later referred to as the Lady of the Rosary, declared to have been sent by God with a message: a call to prayer, to sacrifice and to penance. She visited the shepherds, appearing every day between the months of May and October 1917. The last apparition of this cycle occurred on October 13th, and about 70,000 pilgrims witnessed and attended the “Miracle of the Sun”.

Our Lady also revealed to them the “Secret of Fatima”, which was divided into 3 parts: the vision of hell where sinners fell for their lack of faith; the announcement of the beginning of a new world war (World War II); and the third part of the secret which was written by Sister Lucy in 1944.

The Sanctuary

The religious (both priests and nuns) and common people began to pilgrimage to the place of the apparitions. On August 6th 1918 a small chapel was built with donations from the pilgrims and it quickly became an important center of worship.

The pilgrimages, processions and prayers on this site would grow enormously, attracting large crowds from all over the world. The construction of the current Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima in 1928, as well as the installation of monasteries and convents of various Catholic religious orders and congregations, brought a great development to the parish of Fatima and to the whole region.

In 2017, the Sanctuary registered a record number of 9.4 million visitors who celebrated the centenary of the apparitions with the presence of Pope Francis.

You can live Fátima in our tours: Templars in Portugal and History and Faith in Minho.

  • Fátima, a World Center of Faith
  • Fátima, um Centro Mundial de Fé
  • Fátima, a World Center of Faith
  • Fátima, um Centro Mundial de Fé
  • Fátima, a World Center of Faith

Uma cidade nascida de Mouros

O nome da cidade deriva do nome árabe Fátima (Fāţimah, Árabe: فاطمة ), uma das filhas do profeta Maomé.

Segundo a lenda, uma princesa moura chamada Fátima, capturada pelo exército cristão durante a Reconquista Cristã, foi dada em casamento a um conde de Ourém. Tendo-se convertido à religião cristã, foi batizada como o nome de Oriana em 1158. Às terras serranas, o conde deu o nome de Terras de Fátima, em memória aos ancestrais da esposa, e ao condado o nome de Oriana, depois chamado de Ourém.

As aparições em Fátima

A história da cidade de Fátima está, no entanto, mais associada ao fenómeno das aparições da Virgem Maria.

Por volta do ano de 1758, Nossa Senhora teria aparecido a uma pastorinha muda e, mais tarde, já no século XX, a 3 outras crianças enquanto pastoreavam suas ovelhas na Cova da Iria. No local ergue-se atualmente a Capelinha das Aparições.

A visão consistia em uma linda senhora de branco, tal senhora, mais tarde referida como a Senhora do Rosário, declarou ter sido enviada por Deus com uma mensagem: um apelo à oração, ao sacrifício e à penitência. Ela visitou os pastorinhos, aparecendo-lhes todos os dias 13 entre os meses de maio e outubro de 1917. A última aparição deste ciclo ocorreu a 13 de outubro, e cerca de 70 000 peregrinos testemunharam e assistiram ao chamado Milagre do Sol.

Nossa Senhora revelou-lhes, ainda, o chamado “Segredo de Fátima”, o qual foi dividido em 3 partes: a visão do inferno onde os pecadores caíam pela sua falta de fé; o anúncio do começo de uma nova guerra mundial (a Segunda Guerra Mundial); e a terceira parte do segredo que foi escrita pela Irmã Lúcia em 1944.

O Santuário

Os religiosos (tanto frades, como freiras) e os leigos começaram a viajar em peregrinação ao local das aparições. A 6 de agosto de 1918, com donativos dos peregrinos, construiu-se uma capela pequena, que rapidamente se tornou um importante centro de culto.

As peregrinações, procissões e orações no local viriam a crescer enormemente, atraindo grandes multidões de todo o mundo. A construção do atual Santuário de Nossa Senhora de Fátima, em 1928, assim como a instalação de mosteiros e conventos de diversas ordens e congregações religiosas católicas, trouxeram um grande desenvolvimento para a freguesia de Fátima e a toda a região. 

Em 2017, o Santuário registrou um número record de 9,4 milhões de visitantes que celebraram o centenário das aparições com a presença do Papa Francisco.

Você pode viver Fátima nos nosso roteiros: Os Templários em Portugal e História e Fé no Minho.